The 2011 AALL Book Drive organized by the Social Responsibilities Special Interest Section has begun and will continue until the end of the Annual Meeting in Philadelphia (July 26, 2011). This year’s book drive will benefit Philadelphia Children’s Foundation (PCF). The PCF is a non-profit educational-support organization connecting students and their families to resources and opportunities in the Philadelphia area. The books from this drive will benefit PCF’s Read for Success program. The Read for Success program makes 2-3 large book donations per year to Philadelphia schools serving students from Kindergarten to the 8th Grade. Typically, the recipient schools have small library collections or no library at all, so these books truly go to students in need. The Read for Success program seeks new and gently-used books geared towards K through 8th graders on any and all subjects.
How can you help PCF provide books to children in need?
- Order a book online from “2011 AALL Book Drive for the Philadelphia Children’s Foundation” Amazon.com wishlist.
- Send a check or bookstore gift card (from any bookstore) to the book drive co-organizer in Philadelphia (see address below).
- Drop off books, gift card, or a check in Philadelphia during the AALL Annual Meeting at the Social Responsibilities Special Interest Section table in Exhibit Hall.
- Buy books at Joseph Fox Bookshop — Center City Philadelphia’s only general independent bookshop – and receive 20% off all purchases made for the drive. To receive the discount, mention that the books are for the AALL Book Drive at the cash register. Donations should be left at the store, where they will be picked up at the end of the Annual Meeting.
- Joseph Fox Bookshop – 1724 Sansom Street (between 17th & 18th Streets) – Philadelphia, PA 19103 – (215) 563-4184
- Directions: From the Convention Center, head south on 12th St. to Sansom St. Turn right and walk straight to 17th St. The store is located on the south side of the street, in the middle of the block, across from the Sofitel Hotel.
Book Drive co-organizer in Philadelphia: John Cannan, Legal Research Center, Earle Mack School of Law at Drexel, 3320 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104-3397
For more information regarding this book drive, please contact Sarah Jaramillo, firstname.lastname@example.org or John Cannan, email@example.com.